Saint Lucia

Saint Lucia gained its independence in 1979 and to date remains a Commonwealth nation. St. Lucia is located in the Windward islands south of Martinique and north of Saint Vincent. The capital and major port is Castries found in the northwest part of the island. Around 85% of the Saint Lucian population are thought to be direct descendants of Africans, while the remaining 15% is made up mainly of English, French, mixed African and Indian.

The iconic twin volcanic cones of the Pitons in the southwestern part of St. Lucia are among the most recognizable natural wonders of the Caribbean. Designated a World Heritage Site, they’re blanketed with pristine forest that supports many rare plant species. Gros Piton is the higher but more accessible of the two at 2,619ft.  The steeper but shorter Petit Piton (2,438ft) is for seasoned climbers only.  

Pigeon Island National Landmark, linked to the mainland by a causeway, is heralded as one of the most important monuments of Saint Lucia’s history. It is a vivid representation of the cultural and historical monuments of international, civil, military and marine cross currents, characteristic of West Indian historical change. 

Saint Lucia’s marine habitats and biodiversity provide ecosystem services that buffer the impacts of storms and climate change, provide residents with valuable natural resources and opportunities for sustainable livelihoods, and support economically important agriculture and tourism industries.

Of Note: Saint Lucia is the only country in the world named after a woman. It is also home to the Caribbean’s only drive-in volcano. Sulphur Springs is an active geothermal zone, where you can relax in the pools fed by the warm, mineral-rich springs.

Currency: Eastern Caribbean Dollar 

Language: English (Creole, a form of French patois, is a dialect spoke locally)

Culture Name: St Lucian

Hibiscus International is a full service licensed travel agency providing you with the utmost service and care as you travel the world. Contact us to discuss your business and leisure travel plans.  

Castries City
82°
Showers in the Vicinity
05:5317:56 AST
Feels like: 91°F
Wind: 5mph E
Humidity: 84%
Pressure: 29.86"Hg
UV index: 0
WedThuFri
86/77°F
86/77°F
88/79°F

 

Explore Related Destinations…

Country

Anguilla

Anguilla

Country

Antigua & Barbuda

Country

Aruba

Country

Bahamas

Country

Barbados