The one thing we love about travel is the way it appeals to our senses. Think about a place that you fell in love with? I’m guessing you can probably still remember the smells, the sounds, the sights, the feeling it evoked and of course the culinary delights.
During this time of restricted travel, it’s easy to forget about the places in our own region which have given us that ahhhhh feeling, where we felt whole and healthy. One such place for me is Ste. Anne’s Spa here in Ontario where I’ve been a frequent visitor for over 25 years.
When my colleague and fellow Travel Columnist, Chris Ryall said he had visited Ste Anne’s Spa last month, I couldn’t help but share his update and a recipe from the spa that I have been preparing for years – the best ever … Granola.
Ste. Anne’s Spa by Chris Ryall, Spa/Travel Columnist and Judge at the Canadian Spa Awards
Enjoy a peaceful country spa retreat in Ontario’s Northumberland Hills only 90 minutes east of downtown Toronto. Perched on the hill with views of Lake Ontario, Ste. Anne’s Spa offers a rejuvenating blend of tranquility, delectable and healthy cuisine, wellness classes and spa treatments while staying in luxurious accommodation featuring beautifully appointed rooms in the Main Inn or individually crafted cottages.
Ste. Anne’s has garnered numerous Canadian and international spa awards and a leader in providing innovative and therapeutic treatments. Engage in activities from meditation, yoga, and breathing classes to horse whisperer-like experiences at its equestrian centre. Sit back and relax outside admiring the enchanting gardens, soak in the hydrotherapy pools or venture inside the inn with its state-of-the-art massage chairs or being pampered at the spa with a full range of esthetic and body treatments. Foodies won’t be disappointed with a full slate of healthy and tasty menu options where you can dine inside or outside. Don’t miss out on their tempting fresh treats from their own Ste. Anne’s Bakery.
Ste. Anne’s is an all-inclusive, four-season, spa resort that will satisfy all the senses.
Ste. Anne’s Spa GRANOLA
- 3/4 cup sliced raw almonds
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans/pecan pieces
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (unsalted)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Combine all nuts, seeds, coconut in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a pan over low heat. Add to seed mixture. Stir in honey. This step can be done in the microwave too. Mix well
- Add spices and mix together with hands
- Spread mixture over a large baking sheet (lined with parchment paper, if possible).
- Bake for approx. 25- 30 mins., stirring half way through to avoid burning. Final product should be golden brown.
- Allow to cool thoroughly.
- Store in an airtight container.
ENJOY & STAY HEALTHY!